20070906

White No. 13 [100 ears]
















Glenn Branca - Symphony No. 13 (Hallucination City: : Symphony for 100 Guitars)
Performed June 13, 2001 in New York City


I had to upload this to share with someone who asked me to because he couldn't find it anywhere else and my SoulSeek kept giving him errors. So I thought I should do a post about it.
I prefer not to write about Mr Branca because his work speaks for himself. For more than 30 years he's been trying to change the way to experience guitar listening. Many bands were sub-sub...subinfluenced by him. By this I mean that he influenced bands that in their turn influenced other bands which influenced many others. Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo from Sonic Youth and Michael Gira (Swans) began their careers playing within his ensemble.
Just like Rhys Chatham he composes symphonies to be played by dozens (or hundred guitars).
On June 13th Glenn performed the world premiere of "Symphony #13 (Hallucination City)"for 100 guitars produced by the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council as part of "EveningStars" at the former World Trade Center, originally commissioned by The Mission for the Year 2000, Paris. Glenn said "The piece was a resounding success and we got a standing ovation. At least that's what I'm told. I didn't notice."

for info on the 100 guitar players please refer to: www.glennbranca.com

Tracklisting
Movement 1
Movement 2
Movement 3
Movement 4
(128 kbps 65'52")

download [no pass]
[59,05 MB]

1 comment:

morgan said...

This is absolutely impossible to find anywhere, and as far as I know there are no plans to release it. I would be extremely grateful if you could re-upload it somehow and send me a link (shadowshark at msn dot com). The youtube videos are so tantalizing; I'd really love to hear it! I have tons of avante-garde/20th century classical stuff to trade, if you like.

-morgan