20070304

Another Ripped

Clockwork - Idolized By The Proles tape (1997)
[Chrome Yellow kCY701]

At Vimaranes request I'm posting this tape I compiled once of rare tracks from a band of some friends of mine. Their influences were mainly Sonic Youth and Spacemen 3 and they released 2 full length albums, one 7" and a split7" (as well as contributing tracks to compilations).
Following is the text I wrote when I first ripped the tape to mp3, back in 18jan2001.

This whole story began shortly after the released of their eponymous first album om March '97.
Susanói said they had so many good songs and others in very good versions never released for one reason or another...
We came to the conclusion it could be done and that it was a good and efficient birthday gift to Pastel.
Then I took it upon myself to undertake the task of compiling those songs...
Taborda (Chefe's brother and official repository of their work) had about half a dozen of tapes of theirs comprising live gigs as well as rehearsals and demos. I had three of their concerts on videotape. So it began from there...
My aim was to depict a different side to Clockwork, not available on what was released hitherto.
I managed to put together tracks that never left the rehearsal room, other only played live once, instrumental versions, one cover as well as brilliant live versions of well known but mis-achieved studio tracks.
The A(udio)-side was compiled with Taborda's tapes whereas the B(ideo)-side was taken from my videotapes.
Some songs had a lousy sound quality but what really mattered was the novelty, the freshness, the discovery, the magnificence of it and not so much the quality of the recordings.
The tapes were then recorded, as requests were made, on *Pixie's deck. Side A(udio) from my original compiled side and side B(ideo) from a compiled videotape. Tapes should not be SONY and MAXELL were the supported ones, for its length.
Then I needed to make a cover for the tape. I knew Tipo had some great photos taken at Aveiro the year before. He lent me the photos as well as another one taken by Lights at the launch of Clockwork's album.
I had to scan the photos at Esgar's, their label owner... He closed his eyes and said it was a good idea.
The cover was done using PageMaker, a desktop publishing tool I was already accostumed to.
The tape was 'released' under Chrome Yellow records, my own label, and given the catalogue number kCY 701.
I don't know how many copies were made. Maybe five, maybe six... Only 13 covers were made but I still have a few...
The title of this compilation was inspired on the fact that what we really liked about Clockwork was not depicted on their official releases...

Pastel got his gift more than a month in retard. But he liked and they all got surprised by the whole package and content ans well as the remembrance of some forgotten tracks.


This mp3 version has the same quality as the tape. I only passed the set through a Hum And Hiss removal parametric equalizer and three video tracks (Downtown, Revolution and She's So Cool) were a bit further equalized.


The tracklisting on the tape 'cover' has some incorrections. Here's the correct listing

Audio side {45'40"}
01 intro [1'14"]
02 Spiral Staircase (instrumental) [5'09"]
03 Cimar [5'03"]
04 slow [3'22"]
05 Exp. #2 [7'30"]
06 Won't You Guide Me? [5'38"]
07 Red Wish Girl [4'29"]
08 Exp. #4 [5'46"]
09 fast [2'22"]
10 Xerry (instrumental) [5'07"]

Bideo sideo {46'10"}
11 techno [1'38"]
12 Downtown [1'47"]
13 Spacemen Sonic [9'07"]
14 Red Wish Girl [3'57"]
15 Strawberry Star [5'25"]
16 Revolution [8'29"]
17 She's So Cool [4'17"]
18 Exp. #2 [11'30"]

live tracks were recorded at:
Porto, Palha D'Aço 1998 - 03
Póvoa, Diana Bar 31dec98 - 06;07 (reveillon)
Póvoa, Enseada 22mar97 - 11;13 (first album launch gig)
Póvoa, Tenda 15apr95 - 12;16;17 (Cais Do Rock '95 - 1st)
Póvoa, Tenda 05apr96 - 14;15;18 (Cais Do Rock '96 - 2nd)

Revolution is a Spacemen 3 cover

Clockwork line-up:
Pastel: vox; gtr
Osga: gtr; vox
Chefe: bx
Xarroko: drm; kbd
Pulga: kbd; perc

***********************************************
T.R.T.: 91'50"
encoded at 128kbps
size(mp3 only): 84,2 MB (88.302.656 bytes)
***********************************************

re-uploaded

6 comments:

mehrlicht said...

No, I did not forget the password. It was meant to be put only here.
[pwd=trampolineiros]

Conde de Lautreamont said...

Hola! Hi there from Mallorca!

Nice blog. Our "Les Fleurs du Mal" wants to follow the same line in music (goth, dark wave, etc.). I´d be glad if you link us:
http://lesfleursdumal.blogspot.com/

Obrigado!

Keep on that good work.

P.d.: I´m not spam! ;)

Paulo Martins said...

Many thanks for posting it!!!
:-)

mehrlicht said...

Olá Conde de Lautreamont!
Interestingly enough, I came across your blog yesterday (following a post in the Dark Side forum). I added it to my bookmarks. The next step would be adding a link in the blog. I'll do it when I add another post.

Leo said...

Excelente aporte. felicitaciones por el blog!!!


Saludos desde Perú

Anonymous said...

já rola, o download!!! obrigado nosfa.

abraço do HUGO!! :) (aka osga)